September 30, 2011

Recommendations Needed: Classic Children books

As a kid I’ve always loved to read. I wasn't an only child but I was the youngest by thirteen years. So I spent a lot of time on my own. I enjoyed reading and was quite obssessed with the fantasy worlds that the books created. When I was about ten my mom took me to Santa Cruz, California to visit my oldest brother (who at the time was 29). He introduced me to the world of C.S. Lewis and all hope was lost. We drove from thrift store to thrift store looking for old copies of the series. It was the best trip and I came back with a whole set of new books and an even stronger need to read.
My oldest daughter shares my passion because often I’m looking for her and find her sitting in a corner reading a book. My youngest daughter on the other hand doesn’t care much for books. They just don’t seem to hold her attention.

I’ve been thinking about creating family reading time. A time right before they go to bed when we as a family can read a classic children’s book together. I’m hoping this will help spark my youngest daughters attention and maybe help her find a book that she will love.

So I’m asking for your help. My girls are ten and seven what books would you recommend we read? What books did you love at that age? What was your fondest moment as a child who discovered your first favorite book?


So far my list consists of three books:

  1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
  2. The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  3. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

A Little PrincessThe Secret GardenThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)

7 comments:

  1. Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery is soooo good for that age group. It's the same author as Anne of Green Gables, but I much prefer the Emily books. Very, very sweet, and very beautifully written. Emily is a budding writer, so her stories and poems are in the book and they're very pretty. This was my favourite book when I was 8 and it's still one of my ultimate faves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree with Becca on Anne of Green Gables! It was my favourite book as a kid and remains so now as an adult! Funny enough I'm actually rereading the second book in that series, Anne of Avonlea, right now on the bus home from university everyday! I also remember loving Bunnucula (not really a classic but its from the 80s!)....and there are always classics like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Little House on the Prairie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Secret Garden, King Arthur,The Call of the Wild, The Wind in the Willows, Charlotte's Web, The Wizard of Oz, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Oliver Twist, Black Beauty,or Little Women. I am big on the classics. I think those are really good ones. My mom wasn't really a reader, but I read those to myself when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis are my favorites!!! But I agree with the Anne of Green Gables! Great books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the above are great ideas but if your youngest isn't really that into reading, maybe fantasy isn't really her thing? What about the Babysitter's Club books? Or possibly read some book that have been turned into movies so you can read the book and then see the movie after?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the books listed here and I agree with Lan- your 7 year old might enjoy books by Beverly Cleary or Andrew Clements if she isn't big on the fantasty genre. A great book to read with your girls would also be Holes (not a classic-yet). When I became an avid reader I adored the Nancy Drew series and the Wrinkle in Time series (but I know many kids today who find the Wrinkle in time books too hard to understand).

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables, Babysitter's Club were some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs