March 24, 2011

Help Needed!



I think I have a drug(book)problem, is there a Book Buyer Anonymous?
Wait! I'm serious, this is why I think so...
So, every day I diligently check twitter (on the hour every hour) and check all the blogs I follow, as reviews pop up I add the book to my *wishlist* if books are in the *hot seat* I run out like a crazy person to grab the book, if I can't I end up downloading it on my phone to transfer to my ereader at a later time.  Wait did I mention that the Border's by my office is closing down and I find myself drifting through the front doors at least twice a week during my lunch hour. Shh! I didn't say this but sometimes I buy a book because the cover is "oohhh so pretty!" I think I just might be mad!
Right now I have about 15-20 books that I've either purchased/won/or borrowed in the last month that I have yet to read. I'm at the point where I am starting to feel overwhelmed.

So am I the only person with this self indulgence issue or is there anyone else out there that does this too?
 How do you stop yourself from compulsively purchasing/borrowing more books that you can possibly read?
What process do you use to prioritize the books that you have in your TBR list?

Alright, i'm done ranting and raving :) Thanks for listening!

Happy Thursday!




6 comments:

  1. Oh no, you are definitely not alone. I have the same problem. :-)
    Here are some things that help me.
    I make full use of libraries. I check out the books I'm interested in but unsure of. That way, I save my book budget for the authors and series I know I love. This also has the added benefit of making me read books within a certain time frame.

    I have my to-read list on Goodreads, which makes sorting and prioritizing much easier, and because there are so many on that list, I usually just pick whatever I'm in the mood for genrewise when I have time to read.

    Finally, when I find myself thinking I may be truly book-obsessed, I tell myself there are MUCH worse things I could be getting into, and I congratulate myself for my willingness to devote so much time and effort to "furthering my education." Lol, this is how I justify all the books. I assume that even the most fluff-filled book teaches me something about the craft of writing, and that qualifies it as "educational."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually jealous of your addiction! I definitely have a TBR list that's quickly getting out of control. I've had to switch to reading 4-5 books at once just to get through the pile, but I'm not super fast.

    I agree with Rachel - it's a good problem to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on the out of control TBR list. My organizing side needed it set out pretty, so I even made a list of already-have-that-must-be-read books: http://workadayreads.blogspot.com/p/tbr-list.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel- Thanks for advice. I am totally borrowing your trend of thought with the " furthering my education" and there are worse things that I could be getting into. *currently give myself a tap on the back* Lol :)

    Sophia- Thank you for letting me know that i'm not crazy and that it's okay to have this addiction :) There's no way I could read more than one book at a time, I would completely mix up all the story lines.

    Sarah- Thanks for sharing your TBR list- I think i'm going to add that page to my blog to help organize me. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, you aren't alone! The Borders by my house is closing, and I have bought nearly 40 books from them ... so far. And then with my Borders bucks that I keep on accruing, I go online and order new releases ... it's a vicious cycle, haha. But don't worry, you aren't alone, and on the bright side, at least you will have something to read the next 2 months!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen- It is a vicious cycle-lol. My daughter was telling me we had to go there today, and I was like NOOO! if I walk in there i'm guaranteed to walk out with books. LOL

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs